Thursday, April 19, 2007

mammajam's questions

These are questions from mammajam's visual blog about IF posts, which I have answered below...


Which leads to my questions for any of my IF visitors:

1) How long to you spend on your weekly IF illustration?

2) Do you draw from your mind or do you have a visual reference?

3) Do you illustrate as a profession?

4) How did you find out about Illustration Friday?

5) Why have you started participating in Illustration Friday?

***I would love to read your answers. Perhaps you can post them in the comments section or just leave me a link to your blog and I'll come read it there***


1) How long to you spend on your weekly IF illustration? I have spent anywhere from 1 hour to 12 hours on my drawings/designs for Illustration Friday. All of the illustrions I have posted so far have been new designs for the topic, not old ones I have recycled, but that may wear off...

2) Do you draw from your mind or do you have a visual reference? I have done both, and it's about half from my head and half from pictures I have taken. The cartoony ones are from my head and the more realistic ones from pictures.

3) Do you illustrate as a profession? Sort-of. I illustrate assignments that my students are working on. Besides that I do not do illustration, but I have always admired the way illustrators put visual ideas together. I have quite a collection of children's books. In a related field, graphic design, I have had a couple of logo/letterhead/website design/redesign jobs on the side.

4) How did you find out about Illustration Friday? I gave my students an illustration assignment and googled "illustration" I found many artists websites and blogs that had links to Illustration Friday. I looked at the images long before I decided to set up my blog to create my own designs for the topics. I was hesitant because I manage 4 other personal/work websites. At first the thought of another one overwhelmed me, but it has been a rewarding experience so far.

5) Why have you started participating in Illustration Friday? I need something that "makes" me do more than just create assignments for students. It's like an academic challenge for me in creative problem solving. I also love the networking aspect: hearing advice from and seeing designs by other creative individuals.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Thank you for sharing your answers! It's always fun to find out the thought process behind an illustrator's work:)
I also checked out your other IF projects. I ESPECIALLY enjoy "green" "snap" and "wired". I also like how you incorporated the fish into your fortune theme. I forgot that the fish (Coi?) was associated with fortune. Great job!

Crystal said...

oh, I forgot to add: I use a retractable pencil (the kind you click) that I bought for my college sketching about 5 years ago. It's an inexpensive, but reliable instrument in a house with an often disappearing pencil sharpener.
If I scan my drawings in and they seem too faint, I increase the "levels" in Photoshop so the sketch is more visible online. (Ok, now I feel like I've just used up all the space on someone's voicemail!)